Friday, June 8, 2012

Review: "Sweet Dreams (The Lyndsey Roughton Anthology)"

Title: Sweet Dreams (The Lyndsey Roughton Anthology)
Author: Various
Available: Kindle
Summary: "17 talented authors present their tales in order to raise funds for Lyndsey Roughton, a 27 year old currently suffering from an inoperable brain tumour. Ranging from dark fantasy, humour, sci-fi to horror the tales in this book will transport you to a different world."
Source: I purchased this myself.


Review: First off, I will say that even though I have written a couple short stories myself, they tend not to be my thing. To fit as much as you want into the confined space, you tend to have to get a little abstract and I tend to be a little more linear. Still, when the chance to join this anthology and help a little came by, I was glad to pitch in. I will say that I will not be reviewing my own story. (I'd probably give myself a lower rating anyway!)


So, that being said... there's a lot of good stuff here, including work from a couple authors fast becoming favorites and some new-to-me authors that I really enjoyed. I'll do a little story by story reviewing.


EVERYONE GOES TO HELL – Joseph Garraty
I liked this one. It was quick and funny. I won't say that it caught me by surprise in any way, but I'm a cynical person and I still really enjoyed it.


HERE BE MONSTERS – Namoi Clark
This story kind of meandered to me and I would have liked a little bit more to the things that we were presented with -- like the main character's issue with the sea and the scientist guy, and what was Andrew's deal? -- but otherwise it was interesting. I liked the idea of it.


THE EASTER WEREWOLF – Jason McKinney
This one was just kind of goofy, but in a good way. The idea was really quirky and Felicia made me think of the Ghost of Christmas Present from "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. (That's a good thing.)


A SEASON FOR MICKEY BLAYTON – Chris Fraser
This one I'm not entirely sure of my thoughts about. It was all right, though meandered through its point a bit for my taste. But then, again, I'm not a short story person so that might of been it.


THE GREAT ZOMBIE POT-PLANT LOVE THANG – J H Sked
Sked is fast becoming one of my favorite writers. This was just funny. It's the "nom nom nom" line -- you'll know it when you read it -- that makes it art.


DESCENT – Mia Darien
Man, this writer sucks! ...okay, so this one was me. I won't review it, but will say as my short stories go, this was always one of my favorites cause it still kind of creeps me the f*** out.


BAKKIAN CHRONICLES, DISNEYLAND DEBACLE – Jeffrey Poole
Oh, Mr. Poole. Another round of crazy Bakkian fun. In Disneyland no less. And so many hearts for Christopher. Now I really can't wait for book three!


THE DESERT – Richard Shury
I like stories that contrast outer and inner conflict, breaking down the human condition from inside and out, and this one did that. I liked that. The delivery was a little heavy handed for me, but only a little and I generally thought it was good.


LAID TO REST (A CHERRY GARCIA STORY)  – Leanne Fitzpatrick
I need to find more Cherry Garcia stories. I'm a big fan of First Person Sarcastic, and paranormal. This story was totally up my alley and snarky fun.


THE GARDEN – Renee Carter Hall
Not usually big on flash fiction, but this was good. I liked the ending.


A THIEF’S ESCAPE – Joseph Occipinti
This one was interesting. Not quite Locke Lamora, but had that edge to it.


ALL STRUNG OUT – Sky Corbelli
This one was good, although I had this feeling halfway through of it being a fantasy take on a well known sci-fi movie -- won't say what one to not give anything away -- but I liked the strings thing. Not sure about certain other elements, if they were too much device or not, but generally, I liked it.


CYPHER – Edward Larel
This one was kind of odd, but interesting.


HARD CANDY WITH STRUDEL & TEA – Jana Hill
Good, but depressing.


PHANTOM OF THE NIGHT – Nicholas Ordinans
Odd and totally creepy, but that's a good thing.


SUMMER GHOSTS – Leigh Roughton
This one was interesting, sad and yet not, in its introspection. Even more so when you realize the author in relation to the time frame.


THE GENE PRIEST – B. Throwsnaill
This is among my favorites. I really liked the set-up/world, found that idea fascinating. It wasn't really... unpredictable or surprising at all, but that was okay. I still really liked where it started and where it went.


Over all, I say this anthology -- my story totally not included -- is a solid 4 Fireballs!

No comments:

Post a Comment