Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: "Wood Spirit - A New England Horror Story" by Johanna Frappier

Title: Wood Spirit - A New England Horror Story
Author: Johanna Frappier
Available: Smashwords
Summary: "Sebastian Park, hack ghost hunter, is called to Peachtree, Vermont, to help rid them of a black, aggressive mist that the townspeople believe to be a negative entity. When it comes to paranormal investigations, Sebastian is used to being the ringmaster in a circus full of clowns. But when he has the first nightmare and suffers the entity himself then begins to have urges to gnaw on the girl at the local diner, he regrets his career choice and his cross-country trek to the nightmarish, little New England town."
Source: I purchased this on my own.


Review: On a nitpicking note, this story could have used a better edit-through to pick up a wealth of dropped quotation marks around dialogue, as well as other typos. The EPUB file - I don't know if it did this in other files - also did something really weird for the last fifty pages that made it strange to read.


Aside from that, however... this was a pretty good story. It doesn't quite stand out to me enough to rave about it, but it was engaging and funny, incredible gross in some parts (but it was a horror story). Being a hard core New England resident, I really liked that aspect of it. Park was an interesting character.


I'm not a fan of stories that bounce between Third and First person, so the few Third Person interludes -- which seemed overall kind of needless to me -- didn't do the story any favors, and I thought that the ending was way too abrupt. I wanted more there.


But otherwise, it was a good story and an easy read if you're looking for a horror story. I was able to read it in one day and never found myself doubting my desire to finish it. So, I'm giving it 4 Fireballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment